Direct and Indirect sentence (reported speech)



#) You want to tell someone else what Jesse said.
Direct                               - Jesse said “ I’m feeling ill”.
Reported                         - Jesse said (that) he was feeling ill.

#) When we used reported speech, we are usually talking about the past. So verbs usually change to the past in reported speech.
Am/is → was are → were           have/has → had   will → would         can → could
Do/want/know etc. → did/wanted/knew etc.                did → did or had done
       Other examples:
I want to go on holiday but I don’t know where to go.
                *Jesse said (that) he wanted to go on holiday but he didn’t know where to go.
Jesse said “I woke up feeling ill and so I stayed in bed”.
*Jesse said (that) he woke (or had woken) up feeling ill and so he stayed (or had stayed) In bed.

#)  If you are reporting something and you feel that it is still true, you do not need to change the tenses of the verb.
Example:
Direct             - Jesse said “New York is bigger than London”.
Reported       – Jesse said (that)  New York is (or was) bigger than London.

#) must, might, could, would, should, and ought stay the same in reported speech. May in direct speech normally changes to might in reported speech.
May (direct) → might (reported)

#) say and tell
If you say who you are talking to, use tell:
·      Zack told me that he didn’t like Thomas. (not Zack said me..)
Otherwise, use say:
·      Zack said (that) he didn’t like Thomas. (not Zack told (that) he..)
#) We also use the infinitive (to do/to stay, etc) in reported speech. Especially for orders and requests)
Direct               → “Stay in bed for a few days”, the doctor said to me.
Reported         → The doctor told me to stay in bed for a few days.
Direct               → “Don’t shout”, I said to Gina
Reported         → I told Gina not to shout.

Soal
1. Direct                 → “Can you open the door for me?” Linda asked.
Reported           → Linda asked me …. the door for her.

a. to open
b. open
   c. opening
   d. opened

2. Jill said, “Ann has bought a new car”.
Jill said (that) Ann … bought a new car.

a. has
b. had
   c. having
   d. have

3. Yesterday: Angela said, “ Jill is ill’’.
Today, you see Jill is looking well. You say:”Angela said you … ill”.

a. was
b. is
    c. are
    d. were

4. “Please don’t tell anyone what happened”, Angela said to me.
Angela asked me … anyone what (had) happened.

a. don’t tell   b. not to tell    c. to not tell    d. not telling

5. Ann said, “ I am hungry”.
Ann said that she … hungry.

     a. were    b. would    c. had   d. was

6. Tom said, “I need my pen”.
Tom said that he… his pen.

     a. needed   b. needs   c. need   d. will need

7. He said, “I ought to work hard.”
He said that he … to work hard.

     a. ought to   b. oughted    c. ought    d. is

8. Jessica said, “I may use the money.”
Jessica said (that) she … use the money.

     a. can    b. is    c. might    d. may

9. “Don’t wait for me if I’m late”, Ann said.
Ann said not to wait for her if she … late.

     a. is    b. was    c.were   d. will

10. Jim said,”I’m going away for a few days. I’ll phone you when I get back.
Reported → Jim said (that) he  … going away for a few days and … phone me when he got back.

       a. was, would   b. were, would   c. was, will   d. were, will



Post a Comment

Lebih baru Lebih lama