CLASS ROUTIN EXPRESSIONS

CLASS ROUTINE
Here are the phrases and expressions that are commonly used in class routines:
A. GREETINGS
  • Good morning/afternoon.
  • Good morning, class/everybody.
  • Hello everyone.
  • How are you?
  • How are you getting on?
  • How’s life?
  • How are you feeling today, …?
  • Are you feeling better today, …?
  • I hope you are all feeling fit today.
  • I hope you have all had a nice holiday.
B. INTRODUCING
  • My name is Mr./Mrs./Miss …
  • I am your new teacher, …
  • I’ll be teaching ….this year.
  • I’m a teacher trainee and I’ll be teaching you … and …
  • I’ve got two lessons with you.
C. OPENING
  • Let’s start our …lesson now.
  • Is everybody ready to start?
  • I’m waiting for you to be quiet.
  • Stop talking now so that we can start.
D. CHECKING ATTENDANCE
  • Let’s see if you are all here.
  • Let’s call the roll.
  • Let’s take the register.
  • Remember to answer “I’m here”
  • I’m going to check the register.
  • Is everybody here?
  • Is anyone here?
  • Who is absent today?
  • Who isn’t here today?
  • What’s the matter with … today?
  • Who is missing?
E. DEALING WITH LATENESS
  • Why are you late?
  • We started … minutes ago. What have you been doing?
  • Did you …?
  • Please hurry up and sit down. We’ve already started.
  • That’s the second time this week.
  • Let this be the last time.
  • Don’t let it happen again.
  • Try to be here on time next time.
  • I’ll have to report you if you are late again.
F. TAKING A BREAK
  • Let’s have a break.
  • It’s time to have a break.
  • Let’s stop here for a while
  • We’ll stop doing this here
  • We will start again in 15 minutes.
  • I’m afraid we’ll have to stop here.
G. STOPPING AND ENDING LESSON
  • There are still to minutes to go.
  • We have an extra five minutes.
  • It’s almost time to stop.
  • We’ll have to stop here/now.
  • I’m afraid it’s time to finish now.
  • I don’t think we’ve got time to finish this now.
  • We’ll continue working on this chapter next time.
  • We’ll do/read/look at the rest of this on …
  • Carry on with the exercise for the rest of the time.
  • Stay where you are for a moment.
  • Just hold n a minute.
  • Don’t go rushing off. I have something to say/tell you.
  • That’s all for now/today,
  • We have no time for anything else.
H. ASSIGNING HOMEWORK
  • Prepare the …. on Friday.
  • Finish off the exercise at home.
  • Do the rest of the exercise as your homework.
  • Complete this exercise at home.
  • This chapter/exercise is your homework.
  • Remember the homework.
  • This is the homework for next time.

I. CLOSING
  • Goodbye
  • Bye now, …
  • See you again on Wednesday.
  • I’ll see you on Monday.
  • Enjoy your holiday.
  • I won’t be here next time …will be with you.
  • I’ll leave him your work to give you.
  • Have a nice weekend.
  • Tomorrow we’ll meet in …

References:
Blundell, John. 1982.  Function in English. Oxford: Oxford University Press
Hughes, Glyn S. 1990. A Handbook of Classroom English. Oxford: Oxford University
Press
Slattery, M. 2001. English for Primary Teachers: A Handhook of Activities and Classroom Language. Oxford: Oxford University Press

Post a Comment

Lebih baru Lebih lama