Expresing Advice or Suggestion


CURRICULUM 2013 MATERIAL FOR GRADE II SMA/MA SEMESTER I

Learn these expressions
Asking for suggestion
Giving suggestion
Responding to a suggestion
What do you suggest?
What do you recommend?
Can you recommend….?
I need your advice.
Can I make a suggestion?
I advice you to …
I urge you to …
I recommended that ….
You should …..
You ought to ….
You must ….
You had better ….
How about ……
Why don’t you ….
That sounds good
That sounds great
What a good idea
That a good advice
I hadn’t thought of that before
That never entered my mind
What an Excellent suggestion that is !
  

Listen your teacher’s reading the dialogue
Adi       : Why do you look thinking so hard?
Andi     : Yes, I think about Indonesian traditional stories. It has been forgotten by most of Indonesian
Adi       : You can do something to save it.
Andi     : What do you suggest ?
Adi       : I advice you to  make a web or blog in the internet about Indonesian stories. Write all the
              stories   there. Many   people will read it.
Andi     : Wow. That ‘s a brilliant idea?
Adi       : Thanks.

Answer these questions
1. Who are they?

2. What are they talking about?
   
3. What does Andi worry about?
4. What does Adi suggest to solve the problem
 
5. Can you mention the other examples of expression of giving advice/suggestion?

In pair, read the following transactional dialogue.
Maya    : Hi, Mira. What are you doing?
Mira      : Oh, Uhm. I  am reading some stories. You know, Mr. Dullah asked us to submit the
              Story before we tell it to the class.
Maya    : Oh ya, I see. By the way. Have you  got the right one?
Mira      : Actually, I still confuse what kinds of stories I will choose; fable, fairy tales, legend or what…
Maya    : I’d like to suggest that you’d better to choose “fable”. It is short, simple and easy to 
  understand.
Mira      : It sounds like a good idea. Ok , I’ll choose “fable”. Indonesian fable “ The Deer and the
  Crocodiles”. Thanks for your suggestion.
Maya    : you are welcome.

In pair, answer these questions.
1.     Who are they?

2.     What are they talking about?

3.     What was confused by Mira?

4.     Did she get the solution?

5.     Who gave the solution?

6.     What did Maya say to Mira?

7.     Can give more example about the expression of giving suggestion?


Giving suggestion
In pair, read the following transactional dialogue before the class.
Maya    : Hi, Mira. What are you doing?
Mira      : Oh, Uhm. I  am reading some stories. You know, Mr. Agus Wuryanto asked us to submit the
              Story before we tell it to the class.
Maya    : Oh ya, I see. By the way. Have you  got the right one?
Mira      : Actually, I still confuse what kinds of stories I will choose; fable, fairy tales, legend or what…
Maya    : I’d like to suggest that you’d better to choose “fable”. It is short, simple and easy to 
  understand.
Mira      : It sounds like a good idea. Ok , I’ll choose “fable”. Indonesian fable “ The Deer and the
  Crocodiles”. Thanks for your suggestion.
Maya    : you are welcome.

In pair, answer these questions.
1.     Who are they?

2.     What are they talking about?

3.     What was confused by Mira?

4.     Did she get the solution?

5.     Who gave the solution?

6.     What did Maya say to Mira?

7.     Can give more example about the expression of giving suggestion?


Do the following exercises.

Put the words into the correct order.
1. see – this – the – should – dentist – I – afternoon
2. rest – if- tired – you – to – take – are – ought – you – a
3. too – eat – we – not – much – should
4. the – call – exterminator – have – we- to
5. clean – people – to – the – ought – regularly – bathroom

     
Complete the sentences below.
1. It’s cold. …..
2. I have to pay a fine. …..
3. I don’t have enough food for dinner. …….
4. I am sleepy. …..
5. I will have a math exam next week. …..
6. My friend had an accident. …..



Arrange the sentences below.
1. I should stop smoking, eating meat, drinking coffee and avoiding many other delicious foods.
2. He said that I should eat unsalted food.
3. What did he say?
4. Oh, poor you. I’m sorry to hear that.
5. Great. It means that you will not eat my cheese cake. And what else?
6. He said that I had hypertension.
7. Yesterday I went to a doctor.



Read the problems. What is your advice?
1. Someone has a cough.
2. The room is very dirty.
3. There are so many rats and insects in the house.
4. The river has been polluted with chemical waste.
5. Someone can’t come to the party because she hasn’t done her homework.
6. Some students do not pass the exam.
7. The factory produces waste material.
8. In last two years, the crime rate is increasing.
9. My socks have holes in the bottom.
10. I have to withdraw my savings.



Complete the following sentences using you ought to or you ought not to.
1. It’s too far to walk. ….. take a taxi.
2. ….. leave the house until your mother come.
3. ….. smoke in public places unless you will be punished.
4. ….. clean your teeth at least twice a day.
5. ….. ask for help if you are lost.
6. ….. be selfish or your friend will hate you.
7. ….. read the instruction carefully unless you will make mistake.
8. ….. give him some money because he is a liar.
9. ….. get up early or you will miss the train.
10. ….arrive at Balikpapan before 8.00 p.m. or no bus will take you.



Write dialogues based on the following situation.
1. Mita is losing weight, but she believes herself to be fat. You are worried that her health will suffer.
2. Tom has smoked since he was in Junior High School. Everyday he smokes two packs of cigarette. You are worried that he will suffer from hearth attack and lung cancer.
3. Jack has a fat motorbike. He likes riding his motorbike fast. He always rides it about 100 km/h. You are worried that he will possibly have an accident.
4. Gelbi has been having a bad cough for a week. He has seen a doctor but his cough hasn’t gone. You are afraid that he suffers from more serious disease.



Example

You like a girl at your class. Her name is  Indri Wuryaningsih.  She is the most beautiful and the cleverest students in your class. But you are to shy to show your feeling to her. You ask your best friend, Andi, to give suggestion about that.

You      : May I sit here, Ndi?

Andi     : Please. Have your seat.

You      : What a nice day, isn’t it?

Andi     : Yeah. It is nice to sit here. Do you want some candy?  I Have some . Here’s for you?

You      : Thanks. Uhm … delicious. Ndi , I have a problem. Can you help me? (continued by your       group)

Andi     :

You      :

Andi     :

You      :

Andi     

You      :

Andi     :

Post a Comment

Lebih baru Lebih lama